2. "The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new backbone, new ears, and new eyes. Unless a particular man made New Year resolutions, he would make no resolutions. Unless a man starts afresh about things, he will certainly do nothing effective."
3. "The Old Year has gone. Let the dead past bury its own dead. The New Year has taken possession of the clock of time. All hail the duties and possibilities of the coming twelve months!"
Edward Payson Powell
4. "Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
the year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true."
Alfred, Lord Tennyson, 1850
5. "For Last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning."
T.S. Eliot "Little Gidding"
6. "New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual."
7. "Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right."
8. "We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day."
Edith Lovejoy Pierce
9. "The proper behavior all through the holiday season is to be drunk. This drunkenness culminates on New Year's Eve, when you get so drunk you kiss the person you're married to."
10. "Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us."